22 April 2009

Only Me...

I was recently told of a story about a friend of mine who, after shopping at Aldi's, gives their cart to someone without taking the quarter from them, just to be kind and friendly. It's something her kids do and see her doing, which teaches them to be kind and giving. Okay. I can do that! So, today, I made a quick trip to Aldi's with my shopping buddy Zachary. I was excited thinking about who would receive the 'lucky cart'. So, my list was complete, I was in line and ready to venture out into the unknown :) Anyhoo, I walked to the car, unloaded my monkey and perused the parking lot while unloading the groceries. Aldi's, at least mine, is always packed, people coming and going. For some reason today, everyone was just 'going'. I began to unload slower, in hopes new shoppers would pull in and I could run over with my cart. Okay. No one's coming. So, I completely unload, neatly rearrange the bags and still no one. Zach was getting hungry and I knew I should be getting home but I really wanted to be kind - so - as I shut the back door to my SUV, I see it. An old jalopy just a'headin' my way. It's a really cute, old shrively lady who can barely see over the dashboard and her enormous dog in the backseat. It takes forever for her to get out of the car. As she's getting out, I glance around for any other new shoppers, and still there are none. So, finally, she gets out, clutching her purse and our eyes meet. I think to myself, 'she's the one' and start walking towards her. She has a big smile on her face and I just knew I was going to be a blessing. As we meet, I go to hand her the cart and she says "No, thanks. I'm headed to the BMV next door." I was crushed. My kindness was rejected! I just had to laugh and thought "only me..." But, I tried! So, for the first time ever, I reluctantly made the jaunt to get my quarter back and put it in the little dash compartment where I always keep my "Aldi's quarter" and thought, "Okay, Lord. We'll try again next week!"

No comments:

Post a Comment